Col. Thomas Dion, PLS, PE Given Life Service Award
Col. Dion was nominated by fellow surveyors Kent C. Hudson, PLS and William C. Martin, PLS, PE because of his commitment to the surveying profession through his teaching, scholarship, service, and mentoring of surveying students. Col. Dion has taught at The Citadel since 1976, is a holder of patents pertaining to pumping systems both in and outside of the United States, and is the author of numerous papers as well as textbooks.
Col Dion is a graduate of The Citadel and Clemson. He enlisted with the Sea Bees when he was 17 years old, and received his commission in the Navy in 1968. Col. Dion received his B.S. Degree in Civil Engineering from The Citadel in 1968 and in 1973 he received his M.S. Degree in Civil Engineering from Clemson University. He began his teaching career at The Citadel in 1976. He has been on the faculty of The Citadel for 35 years, serving from an Assistant Professor to Associate Professor to Full Professor at present. He has been instrumental in updating and keeping The Citadel’s land surveying courses in-tact, and assisted in the process of having the State Board of Engineering Examiners review and certify those courses as meeting the 2010 educational requirements in preparation for becoming a land surveyor in training.
In addition to being a member of SCSPLS since 1983, Col. Dion is a life member of ASCE, a member of ASEE, Charleston Civil Engineers Club, Tau Beta PI, SC Gamma Chapter-The Citadel, and Phi Kappa Phi. He has received many honors and awards including the National ASCE for Outstanding Duty as Faculty Advisor of The Citadel ASCE Student Chapter; Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award at The Citadel in 1989; Outstanding Faculty Activity Award at The Citadel in 1989; selected for Who’s Who in The South and Southwest, 1991-92; Who’s Who in Education in 1992-93; Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, 1992-1993; Who’s Who in Finance and Industry in 1992-93; Citadel Board of Visitors Palmetto Medal, 2010 which is the highest award given by the Board of visitors, second only to that of an Honorary Degree. Col. Dion was recognized by the SC Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Surveyors for 10 years of outstanding service as chief examiner on matters pertaining to the land surveying state specific examination for professional registration in 1996. In June 2011, Col. Dion received the ASCE’s SC Sections’s LeTellier Cup award which recognizes a person in SC who has contributed significantly to the Civil Engineering Profession through technical excellence, education, or service to the profession.
SCSPLS LIFE SERVICE AWARD RECIPIENTS
The SCSPLS Life Service Award recognizes lifetime contributions toward the advancement of land surveying as a profession in South Carolina. The SCSPLS Board of Directors voted to approve the Policy Statement of the SCSPLS Life Service Award at the April 26, 1996 Board meeting.
The following are recipients of this award:
- Mr. Sid Miller, Easley, SC, Convention 1996, Springmaid Beach, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Mrs. Mary M. Law, SC Department of LLR, Columbia, SC, July, 1996, SCCESS Awards Dinner
- Mr. Gary Thompson, NSPS Area 3 Governor, Convention 1999, Landmark Hotel, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Mr. Thurl and Mrs. Helen Amick, Simpsonville, SC, 2000 Convention, Landmark Hotel, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Mr. Larry Coker, Lexington, SC, Convention 2003, Kingston Plantation, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Mr. Al Whitworth, Lexington, SC, 2003 Convention, Kingston Plantation, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Mr. Terry M. Watson, Conway, SC, 2005 Convention, Kingston Plantation, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Mr. Charles J. Ido, SC Department of LLR, Columbia, SC, 2006, Convention, Kingston Plantation, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Mr. Joe H. Baird, Clover, SC, 2007 Convention, Kingston Plantation, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Mr. Edward F. Woodward, Rock Hill, SC, 2009, Given while a patient at Hospice House & Com. Care, Rock Hill, SC
- Mr. Gene L. Dinkins, Sr., Columbia, SC, 2010 Convention, Wild Dunes Resort, Isle of Palms, SC
- Mr. Albert G. Wolfe, Inman, SC, 2010 Upper Piedmont Chapter Christmas Banquet, Piedmont Club, Spartanburg, SC
- Mr. William R. Coleman, Dallas, NC, given at 2011 NSPS Conference, July, 2011, San Diego, CA
- Col. Thomas R. Dion, Summerville, SC, given at 2013 SCSPLS & SAMSOG Joint Surveyors Convention, July 2013, Charleston, SC